WANTED: THE BURBERRY CAR COAT
Burberry reintroduces The Car Coat.
Made in England in airy tropical gabardine, and lined in Burberry’s Vintage check,
the single-breasted coat is simple by design with a covered placket and subtle back vent.
In the early 20th century, Burberry made practical clothing for record-breaking drivers, motoring
enthusiasts and passengers alike.
After we checked the craftmanship and design, it’s the coat to wear this upcoming A/W season.
• Designed in London and created in Castleford, England, from over 90 individual processes, each detail has beenconsidered.
• The most skilled process is the stitching of the collar.
• The Car Coat also includes a Piccadilly pocket: a dual-entry design for life’s essentials.
• Influenced by sports styles from the Burberry archive, the coat has a refined fit and feel.
• It sits lightly on the shoulder, with a shorter sleeve head and higher pitch for comfort and movement.
• The wide, relaxed cuffs can be folded back to reveal Burberry’s Vintage check lining, or adjusted with the button tabs.
• Men’s and women’s styles are the same in all aspects but proportion.
• The Car Coat has a neat point collar with a hook-and-eye and single-button throat latch to keep out the weather.
• A loose lining adds to its sense of ease.
• The men’s car coat is designed in two fits and lengths: The Slim Fit Camden (Mid-length), and The Relaxed Fit Brighton
o The Camden is tailored in a slim, column fit for a streamlined look with concealed fastenings.
o The Brighton’s loose proportions complement its longline silhouette – a more relaxed fit for easy layering.
• The women’s car coat is designed in one relaxed fit and two lengths – mid and long.
o The Camden is softly tailored with a feminine A-line cut that slips easily over other layers.
o The Brighton has a relaxed, longline silhouette. Knotting the belt loosely around the waist or at the back creates a
more feminine line.
• The coat is cut for fluidity in tropical gabardine.
• Made in England at the Burberry mill in Castleford, the cloth is weatherproofed in our signature twill, and then tumbled and
washed for softness.
• Styles come in staple black and soft neutrals: sandstone, taupe brown, chalk green, blue carbon, dusty blue and lilac grey.
THE VINTAGE CHECK
• First used in the 1960s, a small check is applied to the lining and undercollar, woven in Italy from mercerised cotton.
• The spirit of early Burberry designs informs the fit and feel of the new coat – unbuckled and relaxed for a sense of active
• In the early 20th century, Burberry made practical clothing for record-breaking drivers, motoring enthusiasts and
Courtesy of Burberry/Alasdair McLellan
BURBERRY FEBRUARY 2018 SHOW – ‘Time’February 19th, 2018
GOSHA X BURBERRY CAPSULE COLLECTION LAUNCHJanuary 11th, 2018
WANTED: THE BURBERRY CAR COATAugust 29th, 2017
BURBERRY EXPANDS ITS DK88 TOP HANDLE COLLECTIONAugust 24th, 2017
BURBERRY OPENS ‘THE CAPE REIMAGINED’ IN CITIES AROUND THE WORLDApril 11th, 2017