WANTED: THE BURBERRY CAR COAT
Burberry reintroduces The Car Coat.
Made in England in airy tropical gabardine, and lined in Burberry’s Vintage check,
the single-breasted coat is simple by design with a covered placket and subtle back vent.
In the early 20th century, Burberry made practical clothing for record-breaking drivers, motoring
enthusiasts and passengers alike.
After we checked the craftmanship and design, it’s the coat to wear this upcoming A/W season.
• Designed in London and created in Castleford, England, from over 90 individual processes, each detail has beenconsidered.
• The most skilled process is the stitching of the collar.
• The Car Coat also includes a Piccadilly pocket: a dual-entry design for life’s essentials.
• Influenced by sports styles from the Burberry archive, the coat has a refined fit and feel.
• It sits lightly on the shoulder, with a shorter sleeve head and higher pitch for comfort and movement.
• The wide, relaxed cuffs can be folded back to reveal Burberry’s Vintage check lining, or adjusted with the button tabs.
• Men’s and women’s styles are the same in all aspects but proportion.
• The Car Coat has a neat point collar with a hook-and-eye and single-button throat latch to keep out the weather.
• A loose lining adds to its sense of ease.
• The men’s car coat is designed in two fits and lengths: The Slim Fit Camden (Mid-length), and The Relaxed Fit Brighton
o The Camden is tailored in a slim, column fit for a streamlined look with concealed fastenings.
o The Brighton’s loose proportions complement its longline silhouette – a more relaxed fit for easy layering.
• The women’s car coat is designed in one relaxed fit and two lengths – mid and long.
o The Camden is softly tailored with a feminine A-line cut that slips easily over other layers.
o The Brighton has a relaxed, longline silhouette. Knotting the belt loosely around the waist or at the back creates a
more feminine line.
• The coat is cut for fluidity in tropical gabardine.
• Made in England at the Burberry mill in Castleford, the cloth is weatherproofed in our signature twill, and then tumbled and
washed for softness.
• Styles come in staple black and soft neutrals: sandstone, taupe brown, chalk green, blue carbon, dusty blue and lilac grey.
THE VINTAGE CHECK
• First used in the 1960s, a small check is applied to the lining and undercollar, woven in Italy from mercerised cotton.
• The spirit of early Burberry designs informs the fit and feel of the new coat – unbuckled and relaxed for a sense of active
• In the early 20th century, Burberry made practical clothing for record-breaking drivers, motoring enthusiasts and
Courtesy of Burberry/Alasdair McLellan
WANTED: THE BURBERRY CAR COATAugust 29th, 2017
BURBERRY EXPANDS ITS DK88 TOP HANDLE COLLECTIONAugust 24th, 2017
BURBERRY OPENS ‘THE CAPE REIMAGINED’ IN CITIES AROUND THE WORLDApril 11th, 2017
PRADA presents the ‘Graphic Rooms’ – A Modular DesignFebruary 22nd, 2017
WE ARE IN LOVE with The BURBERRY February 2017 collectionFebruary 21st, 2017